Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympics..

It’s quite interesting that this year, Olympics and Singapore’s National Day are just a day apart! When I read the Straits Times before leaving for work today, I saw that our swimmer Tao Li had gotten into the finals for 100m breaststroke. It was being shown live at 10.24am on Channel 5 and Channel 601. I didn’t want to miss it... and luckily, I didn’t have to.. I managed to catch it on TV in my office pantry. Manged to convince a couple of colleagues to join me as well.. It was over before you could say ‘wat?’ And anyway, Tao Li came in 5th.

This reminds me of a time in Crescent Girls School when we had to be reporters for Special Olympics (or was it Paralympics?? Can’t remember now..)..

As a colleage put it to me, “There are a billion people in China; there are only 4 mil in Singapore. How will we produce as many talents as they can?” I saw a programme on TV which showed how children in China are trained from young. They were crying & being bent at all different angles and I even saw the trainer kick a boy.. It looked like torture to me.. How could they allow this? How can they allow such cruel things to happen just to earn medals?? There was an article in the newspaper about underage kids sent in for Olympics.. I wonder if that issue was resolved.. or was it a misunderstanding..
http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-Olympics/idUSSP25419620080804

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-080727-olympics-chinese-team-gymnastics,0,1246777.story?track=rss

Oh.. and u shd check out this blog: http://womensbioethics.blogspot.com/

No comments: