Saturday, July 26, 2008

How abt a Book Club?

Oh gosh!! Everyone should read “The Pillars of the Earth” by Ken Follett.. It’s amazing.. I couldn’t put it down at all..

Background about how I got to know about the book first.. I’d first heard about it on Oprah’s Book Club (Yes! I’m a member! :P ) So when I saw the book at the bookstore in the Airport on my way to NZ.. (N yes, incidentally, that is always my 1st stop at the airport) I immediately bought it.. But I did not read it till I was on my way back home 10 days later.. In Auckland, I decided to check in both my luggage and simply carry the book in hand. How silly of me rite! I went to the ladies and misplaced the book!!! So upsetting!! I returned to the ladies after I realized that I no longer held the book.. just 5 mins later! But the book was gone! I asked airport helpdesk and she helped me enquire with the lost n found section.. but there was no such book reported.. they said it’s as good as gone forever! I was so upset.. :( So what did I do?? I was at the airport! What else do u think I would have done?! I went to the bookstore there and bought the same book! I bought another book as well.. but I’ll talk about that ltr..


This book is set in the 12th century.. It centers on building the biggest cathedral in the world. Initially, I thought it might be boring... how can any story that centers around architecture be interesting rite?? Boy was I wrong! The story is woven spectacularly about a prior trying to build a cathedral amidst war, feuding kingdoms, selfish earls and lords and countesses, abandoned children, monks, heaven and hell… To me, it was an excellent read as it provided enough flavour to spice up the novel. There was some crying, some laughing.. I even got angry at some of the characters.. stupid Waleran Bigod for being so evil even though he is a bishop!, Hamleigh for taking over Shiring by deception and causing an innocent man to die and leave 2 children all alone in the world, even Prior Philip for being silly enough to fall for Waleran’s trick! But one thing I have to say is that I’ve learnt soooo very much. I really admire Aliena and Ellen.. Women who managed to overcome all odds to build a life for themselves.. Not to forget Jack, an odd boy who I can empathise with, who managed to overcome all obstacles to be the master builder (mason) he had always wanted to be after learning the trade from his stepfather Tom. It was absolutely astounding that even after he knew who his father’s murderers were, he did not even once consider revenge.. Just saw a quote that I thot I could mention here.. "You cannot get ahead while you are getting even." - Dick Armey
There is a lot more than what I’ve just mentioned here.. You really have to read the book to find out.

The sequel to this is “World Without End”. However, I haven’t read that yet.. I wanna savour “The Pillars of The Earth” first.. Perhaps even read it another time.. =)


Other recent books I’ve read (twice) are “Anna Karenina” by Leo Tolstoy and “A Suitable Boy” by Vikram Seth. It wouldn’t do them justice to casually mention them like this.. I have to dedicate entire entries for those! When am I ever going to have the time??!!


Another book I have on hand but yet to read is “Shantaram” by Gregory David Roberts, a convicted Australian bank robber and heroin addict who escaped from prison and fled to India where he lived for 10 years.. This was also bought at Auckland airport.. I just happened to read somewhere that this is now being directed as a movie by Mira Nair starring Johnny Depp and Amitabh Bachchan. However, I feel that watching a movie is never equivalent to reading the book.. Movies restrict your visualization of how the novel/story goes.. When reading, you form your own image of characters, the surroundings.. It's just not the same watching a movie..

Oh.. by the way, I’m also interested in Anita Shreve’s “A Pilot’s Wife”. Maybe I shall buy that.. Times bookstore is just next door to my office.. Temptation at my doorstep!!

I just love reading thick thick books.. It’s sth I love to cuddle with in bed everynite b4 falling asleep. It gives me a deep sense of satisfaction when I finish a book that thick.. But almost immediately, I wanna read it all over again! :)
**********************************************************************************
"The beginning and end of all literary activity is the reproduction of the world that surrounds me by means of the world that is in me, all things being grasped, related, moulded and constructed in a personal form and an original manner." - Goerte

2 comments:

Vanitha said...

I tried reading A Suitable Boy way back in sec school but didn't make it past one quarter of the book. I found some of the chapters interesting but some others were utterly boring. Well, that was back then. Would like to give it a try again... but when???

Unknown said...

Anu am still holding on to your tolstoy... it is a very engaging read thus far. However, it's one of those books that you need a specific mood to read it in, otherwise the pace is a little too slow for comfort.. But what is most surprising is that I found I could relate to it so easily! It's not "out there" at all, as I expected it to be.